Biscochitos!!!


Pictured here are my biscochitos from the recipe below.
So obviously, I am in New Mexico now, so my first food post has to be about the state cookie.  Biscochitos!  Have you ever eaten these melt in your mouth yummy spicy cookies.  Oh my, they are probably one of the best cookies I have ever eaten.  That being said I was determined to find the best recipe.  Now of course there are a gazillion versions.  Some involve spirits, not the "ghosty" kind.  I searched and searched until I found a recipe someone had posted that looked old and worn out (like MY favorite recipe cards) and then decided this one HAS to be tried.

You can find this recipe all over Pinterest saved on many boards including my own, or from the blog listed here:
redorgreenchile.blogspot.com

So far I have made biscochitos three times and that old yellowing recipe has to be the favorite so far.   I will let you know if I find another version that is better, but I doubt it.  There is one recipe exactly like it except she increased the brandy from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup.  The second time I made it I followed her lead.  Also.....I'm sorry you guys, you can't healthy it up by not using lard.  It is just exactly what makes it so yummy.  It reminds me of my Gram's pie crust.  She used lard.  That's just how it is.  This flavor has to be there.

Of course the other option if you are spendy is to go to all the wonderful bakeries and try them all.  😍  Biscochitos are usually even sold at gas stations.  Two of the more famous brands anyway.  However, there is one place here in Albuquerque I highly recommend.   They are called Golden Crown Panaderia.



 You can even order them from there and have them shipped.  They have many different flavors as well.  Also when you come into the beautiful, quaint, adobe style location that is beautifully decorated inside and out, you are greeted by the establishment and told that all "kids" get a free cookie after which they hand you a sample and wink.  (I'm no kid, LOL).  They are not stupid....once you taste one of their cookies....well lets just say it, it's highly unlikely that you will walk out without any.  Their New Mexico green chile bread is, well....just yummy as well.  They don't just serve baked items, they also serve food.  They are an old fashioned neighborhood bakery which is why I like it.  A father-son business.   Come on!!!! They have chocolate, and blue corn biscochitos.

So I have decided that I am definitely in one of the best places on this earth for food!

Comments

Popular Posts